Thursday, May 18, 2006 12:48 PM
WHAT: A wine and beer reception sponsored by two now-sober journalistic troublemakers:
• Allan MacDonell, whose high-flaming memoir, “Prisoner of X: 20 Years in the Hole at Hustler Magazine” (Feral House), has been featured in the NY Times, NY Post, Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair and NPR; and
• Jason Leopold, the obsessive-compulsive investigative journalist whose “News Junkie” (Process) details the felonious conduct prior to his rise and fall at the Los Angeles Times, Salon and Dow Jones Newswires, and later his rise once again in the independent media.
FOLLOWED BY: A discussion with the two writers moderated by:
• Evan Wright, whose bestselling “Generation Kill”, about American grunts in Iraq, won the 2005 PEN award for the best work of researched nonfiction.
WHY: • Because Chuck (“Fight Club”) Palahniuk sez, “Prisoner of X is hours of guilty pleasure that pass like seconds. Here’s the unsafe, hook-up sex of memoir. You’ll need to indulge before the restraining orders pull this great book off of store shelves.”
• Because Greg Palast ( “The Best Democracy Money Can Buy”) sez, “Every author in America should read “News Junkie”, then quit or riot.”
• And Jason Leopold’s TruthOut.org stories have been subpoenaed by Scooter Libby’s attorney in Plamegate, and Jason’s Halliburton in Iran story was selected for inclusion in this year’s “Project Censored” collection.
YOU MIGHT BE LUCKY: And win free signed copies of “Prisoner of X” and “News Junkie”.
WHEN: Thursday, May 18. Reception begins at 6:30 p.m., with presentation and Q & A starting at 7:30 p.m.
WHERE: Los Angeles Press Club at The Steve Allen Theater.
The Steve Allen Theater is located in Los Feliz/East Hollywood,
4773 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood
(2 blocks west of Vermont).
Click here for map and driving directions to the Los Angeles Press Club.
PARKING: Free, our parking lot is next to the building.
COST: Free for members, all others $5 – *free if you join the club that evening.
RSVP IS A MUST! To: firstname.lastname@example.org