Hello L.A. Press Club members,
We are looking forward to taking advantage of Giving Tuesday on Dec. 1. In-person events are some of our biggest income drivers and without them this year, we’ve been dipping into savings to continue and expand important programming and outreach. We understand times are tough and you’re busy, but please consider donating to the Press Club or encouraging your network to do so on Giving Tuesday.
The Board has been reaching out to philanthropic organizations as well. If you’d like to connect us to a charitable fund that may be interested in supporting our work, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
With the money the Los Angele Press Club receives, we will continue to financially support out-of-work journalists as well as fund reporting grants and mentorship programming. We are always pursuing new opportunities to uplift our membership.
Here are a few ways you can help:
1. Send an email to five or more people and tell them about the Los Angeles Press Club’s important work. (Sample email below.)
2. Give $10 or whatever you can afford to the Los Angeles Press Club through this link.
3. Tell your social media followers how the Los Angeles Press Club makes a difference. (Sample tweets, Facebook posts, and LinkedIn messages below.)
4. Participate in our online auction by donating services or items. Use this form to make your tax-deductible donation.
After Black Friday and Cyber Monday comes Giving Tuesday on Dec. 1.
Giving Tuesday is meant to inspire a global movement of generosity. This holiday season, please consider donating to the Los Angeles Press Club, a nonprofit organization that encourages serious journalism.
During the pandemic, the Press Club has:
* Given $123,500 to out-of-work journalists through its emergency fund
* Awarded $7,500 as part of a coronavirus-themed writing/photo/video contest
* Honored some 300 winners at the annual SoCal Journalism Awards through a fun and creative Zoom event
* Mentored young journalists from disadvantaged communities through its Foot in the Door program
* Responded to reports of police brutality against local journalists by meeting with local law enforcement leaders to propose training solutions.
* Hosted events to help journalists find balance, from a mental health issues workshop to relaxing painting classes
* Hosted other online events, including writing workshops and author panels.
The press club is also currently accepting applications for the National Arts & Entertainment Awards.
Your contribution will make a difference, as the Press Club supports journalists who need help now more than ever. To donate, click here. If you’d like to make a donation to a specific fund, like the Reporting on Systemic Racism grant or the Foot in the Door fellowship, tell us in the comment section of your PayPal donation or email email@example.com. To directly donate to the Emergency Fund click here, or to donate to the Charles M. Rappleye Investigative Fund use this link. You can also send a check to Los Angeles Press Club, 6464 W Sunset Blvd., Suite 870, Los Angeles, CA 90028. All donations are tax-deductible.
Sample Tweets and Facebook Posts
This year @LAPressClub supported 165 out-of-work journos and launched a systemic racism reporting grant. Help keep the momentum going by #donating to LAPC on #GivingTuesday. https://bit.ly/donate-lapressclub
I’m proud to be a journalist and a member of the @LAPressClub. Help the LAPC support serious journalism by #donating on #GivingTuesday. https://bit.ly/donate-lapressclub
Help support serious journalism! On #GivingTuesday, donate to @LAPressClub #journalismmatters. https://bit.ly/donate-lapressclub.
By donating to @LAPressClub on #GivingTuesday, you’re saying serious journalism matters! https://bit.ly/donate-lapressclub
Sample LinkedIn Messages
This year, the Los Angeles Press Club launched a reporting grant focused on systemic racism and helped distribute funds to 165 out-of-work journalists. Help the Los Angeles Press Club support serious journalism by donating on #GivingTuesday.
I support journalism because [insert personal reason]. You can too by donating to the Los Angeles Press Club on Giving Tuesday #journalismmatters. https://bit.ly/donate-lapressclub
This holiday season, please consider donating to the Los Angeles Press Club because local journalism matters! #GivingTuesday https://bit.ly/donate-lapressclub
The Los Angeles Press Club Board